Henderson

The brand for doors in a strong group

 

 

P C Henderson Ltd was established in 1921, the Irish subsidiary company was founded in 1968. Since then we have become Ireland's leading garage door company & sliding / folding door hardware provider. We are the only wholly owned international garage door subsidiary company based in the republic of Ireland.

For over 95 years, P C Henderson have been providing the highest quality products at value for money prices. The "Henderson" name has become the hallmark for enduring quality in both garage doors and sliding / folding door hardware.

In the year 2000 we became a member of the Cardo group of companies, part of Cardo AB, a major European engineering products group. Then in 2011 the company was aquired by Assa Abloy. The support of being a member of the worlds largest entrance product company enables us to continue to develop our products and services to exceed customer expectations.

Henderson garage doors and sliding / folding door hardware is available through a network of specialist installers, architectural ironmongers and builders merchants. For information on our dealer network or product outlets, please contact us directly.

95-year company history – the most important milestones:

 

 

1921                         

P C Henderson Ltd is founded on the 24th February 1921, the initial Henderson product range was a mixture of hay carriers and sliding door gear for the agricultural sector.

1923

The first version of the Tangent round the corner sliding door gear is produced and is an immediate success.

1924

Because of the success of the round the corner gear, the company moved to a larger premises "The Tangent Works" in Barking, Essex. The company would remain at those premises for the next 31 years.

1925-1936

The company enters into an intense period of design and product development and patents a series of novel sliding door gear solutions.

1940

Tangent works is bombed several times and production is switched to armaments and aircraft components. The roof of the building being replaced with a tarpaulin, work continued throughout. 

1950

In June 1950 P C Henderson Ltd becomes a public company. In doing so, much needed capital is raised to set in motion the planned expansion programme that will allow sliding door hardware to be produced in vast quantities.

1954

Henderson begins producing the "Ultra" up & over door gear for timber garage doors. At the time traditional side hinged doors were the norm. A design breakthrough created the first "Dolphin" door, a flat packed metal garage door that is assembled on site. This allowed builders merchants to enter the garage door business which had been exclusive to joinery companies before then. As the price of timber increased metal doors became more popular and subsequently we introduced the "Merlin" garage door. The Merlin established up and over garage doors as the main type of door in both the UK and Irish markets.

1955

Due to continued growth and demand for sliding door hardware internationally, a new purpose built factory was opened at Harold Hill in Romford, Essex.

1960

The subsidiary company P C Henderson (NZL) Ltd is formed to support the rapidly growing markets of Australasia.

1965

In early 1965 a new office is opened in the Netherlands to handle the growing sales of doors and sliding door hardware across Europe.  

1968

The Irish subsidiary company P C Henderson (Ireland) Ltd is opened to cater for demand for the Henderson industrial door range, as well as domestic garage door and sliding gear range.

1969

As demand for Henderson garage doors grew with an estimated 50% of all doors being fitted as Henderson, there came a need for a purpose built factory to cater for this demand. A site was purchased in Bowburn, County Durham and in 1969 this dedicated garage door factory went into production.  

1971-1987

In these years the company continued to grow on both the garage door and sliding gear business. 1987 saw the landmark two millionth door rolling off the assembly lines at Bowburn.

1988

The Henderson group of companies was aquired by Hepworth Plc, a leading building products company.

1991

Henderson gained BS5750 quality management accreditation, followed by European quality standard ISO9002, reinforcing the company's commitment to quality.

1992

Over £10 million was invested in the Bowburn factory, making the production lines the most advanced in the world. The first Henderson "Premiere" steel garage doors were born, offering made to measure garage doors in 1mm increments, with unique button locking panels giving us the strongest doors on the market. .

1994

Following further expansion at the Bowburn factory and the inherent communication problems with two production facilities 250 miles apart, the Romford plant was closed and all production was merged to the Bowburn plant, establishing Bowburn as the head office and main base of the company. 

2000

P C Henderson group of companies was aquired by Cardo AB, a swedish based industrial products company. The company fits perfectly in to their portfolio as Cardo AB is Europe's fastest growing garage door company.  

2004

The g30 range of sectional garage doors was introduced, bringing Swedish innovation to the domestic sectional garage door industry leading the way in safe design , thermal and mechanical performance. 2004 was also the year that P C Henderson started distributing German made belt driven garage door operators called the "Ultra". These were produced by a sister company Normstahl in Moosburg, Germany.  

2006

This year Normstahl introduced some exciting new products, including new designs, complementary colour ranges, open for infill sectional and one piece doors allowing customers to affectiveley make their own doors. It is also the year when Normstahl is the first to achieve a security rating class 2 on thier sectional range.  

2007

The g30 is superceded by the g60 where every door is now 42mm thick and achieves U-Values equivalent to a double glazed unit. As these doors were designed for the Swedish market performance is key to their success.

2008

As the garage door industry goes in to turmoil in the UK market, the garage door section of P C Henderson (UK) changes hands and is taken over by Bowburn Ltd. The sliding door side of the company remains unchanged and continues to grow from strength to strength.

2009

P C Henderson (Ireland) Ltd remain as part of the Cardo group of companies and retains access to the best in garage doors from our group companies. We also have roller doors manufactured for us by SWS UK and Gliderol UK, both manufacturers are product leaders in their respective ranges.

2010

The Crawford industrial door group and the residentail door business are merged into one division giving P C Henderson (Ireland) Ltd a new and exciting range of industrial products from Europe's leading industrial door manufacturing company.

2011

P C Henderson group of companies was aquired by Assa Abloy, the worlds largest entrance product company. Giving P C Henderson (Ireland) Ltd access to innovative world class entrance solutions. 

2014

The portfolio of sectional garage doors is completely revised and relaunched on the market.

The right door for every customer under the three product lines, from the cost-effective Henderson Smart 42, through to the

Henderson Superior 42 as the optimiser, and the all-rounder, the Henderson Superior+ 42.

2016

We celebrate our anniversary and can look back on 95 years of experience as a market leading brand name!